This is what I do.

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Queen Esther

A few months ago I decided to start a pinup project to show my followers step by step how I create works of art. I kinda gave up on it for a little while but I finally finished it, and now I'm going to show all of you how it was done.
One of my favorite real life artist is my very good long distance friend Lala (Lauren) Holt, and how I came across her was by stumbling upon a painting she did of model Hanuka Esther a.k.a Queen Esther. It was amazing! Since then we've been good friends and I myself started following the model's work.
I started doing this piece as a tribute to both Lala, and Hanuka.



-here is my reference photo from Bound By Ink Magazine.

Step 1



-I started the outline with a regular number 2 pencil. I'm too cheap for art pencils. Lol!

Step 2



-I add the details and finish the sketch.

Step 3



-Using Prismacolor color stix, I started laying down some yellow ocher to capture her skin tone.

Step 4



-Next I add pink.

Step 5



-now I add brown.

Step 6



-I like to add purple and blue, especially for makeup around the eyes.

Step 7



-now I apply the peach, and you can already see the face popping out of the page.

Step 8



- And then black for the dark shadows. I use dark brown for the lighter shades.

Step 9



-I follow the same steps for the rest of the pieces of the body.

Step 10




Step 11



-Black colored stix and pencils for small details.

Step 12




Step 13



-for the hair I used a mix of both colored pencils, and stix. Light brown, dark brown, red, and orange for the highlights.

Step 14



-Try to draw more comfortably than me. Lol! This was me trying to finish with no table or easel in a hotel somewhere in Alice Texas.












-making it happen, even if I have to break my back to do so.

Step 15



-lightly add the pencil outline for the tattoos.

Step 16



-adding color.

Step 17



-the finished piece.

Location:Queen Esther, Hanuka Esther, Lala Holt, Colored Pencil, Color Stix, Prismacolor

No comments:

Post a Comment